Thursday, July 06, 2006

TOM THUMB

Speaking of P.T.Barnum's birthday, my wife Phyllis grew up in P.T.Barnum's hometown, Bridgeport,CT. They had a statue of him at Seaside Park, which was originally part of Barnum's estate. If you went to this cemetary that we used to live near when we were first married - Tom Thumb was buried there. Including a life size statue of him on his monument. Pretty cool,actually. I remember back then the head had been stolen from the statue a number of times, but they always got it back; I guess it was supposed to be a prank.
And, they also have the Barnum Museum downtown; lot's of circus memorabilia in there. Lots of Tom Thumb stuff; his wedding carriage, clothes,etc. They used to have the pelt of Barnum's giant gorilla Konga(?), but it burned up in a fire. I think I have a picture of it somewhere.

No comments: