Wednesday, May 21, 2008

3 MUSIC FIRSTS


I'm pretty sure this was the first album I bought, back in 1965-66 thereabouts. Don't think I actually bought it though, if I remember, I traded for it whe I was art military school in 7th grade. Had seen a movie that used 'California Dreaming' ("All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey...etc") as the theme song, weird movie about reincarnation, I think, and ended up getting this album from someone in the dorm. Not sure what finally happened to it, probably traded it later for a book. Military school being an entity of it's own, a lot of trading went on, there wasn't much else to do in one's spare time, so I owned the album, at least temporarily.




Ah, Jimi Hendrix, arguably the best non-conventional guitarist in the universe; and this record was the first album IN STEREO that I bought. Yes, when this came out, albums were still available in either mono or stereo, and even thought my cheesy little drop down record player could only play mono, I had to have this in stereo. So when Mom & Dad were out of the house, I'd go down to their big console stereo and crank it up. Man, it was a whole 'nother universe, you really had to be there! Groovy, man...







And finally, this one. This was the first CD I bought (still own it). Bought it from the old 'Everythings A $1' store at the Lakeland mall - before I even owned a CD player, but hey, it was only $1, and actually a pretty good CD too (when I finally played it years later).

No comments: