Thursday, March 09, 2006

THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR

Yes, this would be it. And why? Because, once again, my wedding anniversary rolls around.
32 years of marital bliss...and I mean that. Sure, Phyl & I have had our highs and lows, but here
we still are, pretty much against the odds. Let me tell you a story...

Back in 1973, after having dropped out from the Univ.of Conn., I was living in the Y.M.C.A. in Norwalk CT (yes, you used to be able to rent rooms there). My best friend Larry & I used
to go to a bar/club in Westport (Fore N Aft - what a great place - live bands and alcohol). Well, when he went back to school (he was the smart one), I used to hitch-hike (back when that was relatively safe for both driver & hitcher) to the bar, since I had nothing else to do at night. Well,
one Saturday night (it was Sept.22,1973) I met a friend of Larry's at the bar & we sat and had a drink, then he wandered off, leaving his jacket on the barstool. A few minutes later this pretty
girl with long brown hair came over and asked if the seat was taken. I dropped the guy's jacket on the floor and told her "Not now", and bought her a drink. Well, we ended up finding a table
and spending the evening chatting & drinking. At the end of the night she kindly drove
me back to the 'Y'. I asked her out for the next Saturday, and she agreed. Well, I had bought
a used VW Beetle (the real one) which I was picking up that next weekend (back in the old days, the dealers used to take a week to 'prep' your car, you rarely got to drive one right off the lot).
So I was able to pick her up at her house, and we went for pizza, and then back to the Fore N
Aft. That night at the bar I said "So, will you marry me", and she said "Sure". I told her I
was serious, and she said she was also. So, I guess there really is such a thing as love at first
sight. At least for us. So we told her parents on Halloween, and got married on March 9,1974.
Larry was the best man, and he thought I was kidding when I called and told him, since I had
been going out with someone else when I met Phyllis. In fact, he thought I was marrying her
when I first called to tell him. And, of course, my Mom & Dad were quite shocked!

So, pretty much everyone was surprised we got married, and even more surprised as time
went on and we were still married.

Love at first sight?...yep!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great story! I know I believe in love at first sight. When I started working at Universal I remember hanging out with Corey at a party and he made me laugh all night. I knew he had to be mine. Love you guys and I hope you have a great Anniversary.