Monday, May 14, 2007

THE NEW CARS

Well, you can't really teach old Cars new tricks. Saw these guys Saturday at Cypress
Gardens, and while it was a decent enough show, it wasn't the Cars. With the core of
Elliot Easton(who for the last 5-6 years used to play for Creedence Clearwater Revisited) on lead guitar & Greg Hawkes on keyboards there was a Cars-like sound(especially the keyboard parts).
Joined by Todd Rundgren on rhythm guitar, Kasim Sulton from Utopia on bass, &
Prairie Prince from the Tubes & Jefferson Starship on drums, the band put on a
decent show. Mostly Cars songs with some Rundgren/Utopia songs added in, and
there's the rub. Todd Rundgren sings nothing at all like Ric Ocasek, and that's
where the New Cars ruined it for both me & my wife. And, apparently not many people
were interested in seeing the New Cars as the small crowd was the smallest I've seen
at any of the shows I've been to at C.G.
It was fun to watch, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it...

No comments: