Friday, March 07, 2008

THUNDERSTRUCK

Or as I call it, Phil Esposito's most hated song. Yes, it is the AC/DC song we all know and love, let me tell you the story. Back when the Tampa Bay Lightning were first starting out, they used to hold training camp at the Lakeland(Civic)Center. Which was real neat since it was only a 15 minute drive from work and I used to go there a lot to watch them practice and meet the players afterward. And Phil Esposito, who used to be a well known hockey star in the 70s (and even did a jeans commercial for Sasson Jeans) was the general manager at the time. So, you could see Phil, his brother Tony (the famous Blackhawks goalie) and other people who worked for the Lightning in the stands on a regular basis. Even met Bobby Orr one year when he was a scout for them, autographed a Bruins puck for me. Anyway, the music people at the Center, and even at the games, used to love to play the intro guitar to Thunderstruck quite often when the Lightning were coming out on the ice. So one day, I was going down to the concession area for a drink, and as I turn the corner onto the stairs, here come Phil, saying to himself "I hate that fucking song", and then noticed me, and sorta gave a short laugh. Needless to say, I thought it was hilarious, and everytime they played that song afterward, I'd always tell whoever was sitting nearby "Hey, did you know Phil Esposito Hates this song?" and proceed to tell them the story.

Needless to say, I'm sure it's not in his autobiography!!

No comments: