Friday, May 09, 2008

RIP: EDDY ARNOLD

The famous Country/Pop singer 10 days before his 90th birthday. Now, he rates mention not bcause I'm a fan of his, but because my Dad was. In the mid-60s he had a hit song called "Make the World Go Away" which my Dad used to sing (not very well) at random moments in time. And he never seemed to know anything past the first line or two… "Make the world go away, take it off from my shoulders" as close as I can remember it. But he seemed to enjoy it. Now, the funny story connected to Eddy Arnold is this:

My Dad came back from one of his many business trips, and when my Mom was going through his suit prior to getting it cleaned, she found a napkin from some hotel bar. On the napkin was written "What are you doing in my life?" in Dad's handwriting. So my Mom asked him about the napkin, wondering who why it had that phrase written on it. Well, it turns out he'd been out with a few of the business associates wherever it was he happened to be (he traveled all over the world) and he heard a song playing, which he liked, and wrote down what he could remember of the title. The actual title was "What's He Doing In My World" by Eddy Arnold, and of course he added it to his repertoire of half sung songs, of course with the words the way he originally wrote them down!

 So, Eddy, now that you're gone, and in heaven with Dad, please teach him the right words to your songs…



--
tim 8>)...
http://heathcliff13.blogspot.com

No comments: