Thursday, July 31, 2008

BEER NUMBER 571

Yup, here I am, back from vacation, and I know you couldn't wait to hear about my latest beer finds. Actually had 3 new beers on vacation, but this is the one I'm going to tell you about...
One of the interesting things about this beer, it's actually a malt liquor, having a higher alcohol content than your standard lagers,eg. Budweiser. I don't drink many malt liquors, as they usually tend to come in quart size bottles, and generally aren't that tasty. But, let me tell you about this one. It's brewed by the Naragansett Brewing Co, which is NOT in Narragansett, Rhode Island where it used to be in the 70s when they brewed Narragansett Beer, which I used to drink every time we visited R.I.; we visited quite a few times (saw the Buckinghams once at a Holiday Inn - but that's another story) when we lived in CT during the early years of our married bliss. Anyway, so now Haffenreffer is made in PA, where originally it was brewed in Boston Mass. But the weird thing is really where I found this beer. Now, I've never seen it in any local grocery or liquor stores; not even at a bar. Nope, I found this in the middle of the Webster Flea Market (open Mondays only) in a little beer bar that carried mostly A-B products. But, there, amidst the listing of the 6 or so beers sold, was the Private Stock. Now, you know I had to try it, and it was damn good - though part of it may have been the 90+ heat I'd been walking around in for hours; but it was good enough to have another one after the first. So, if you ever find this anywhere, pick up a sixpack, and after cutting the lawn on a real hot day, sink a few.

Oh, yeah...and have one for me, I don't know when I'll get back to the flea market...

No comments: