Tuesday, September 23, 2008

FOX AND HOUNDS

In my estimation, one of the best restaurants in Nanaimo(Vancouver Island,B.C.). Phyl and I went there for
lunch when we were vacationing there, and had an excellent roast for Sunday lunch; Phyl had the roast beef, I had the roast lamb. Both were served with Yorkshire pudding(I love Yorkshire pudding). You order at the bar, from a menu the size of a door - literally...and when they're busy you do have quite a wait since it's a family
run place, no pre-cooked food here!
And while you're waiting, you can have a pint or two(or three)and just soak in the atmosphere. And then we went back with Mom, and of course she had fish and chips that she enjoyed.
This place is in a converted house, quite cozy, with the front rooms intact, just the doors missing, and divides the place up into 3 rooms of various size with the bar at one end.
I believe the husband does most of the cooking, while Jane tends the bar and I believe makes the desserts(and we'll talk about dessert some other day).
So, if you're in town, and want a truly
English experience, this is the place to go for lunch or dinner, or even just a drink, though you'll miss out if you pass on the food - closest to home cooking without being home that I've ever found, and believe me, I've eaten in many restaurants!







No comments: