Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ALZHEIMER'S

So I went to the neurologist yesterday about my foot pains. Very nice Oriental doctor. So we go through different questions about general health things, and we get to the short list of pills that I take. Along with eye pills and 81mg aspirin, I've also been taking Ginkgo for memory. So the doc askes me how it's working(with a smile on her face) and I tell her:
"I don't think it really helps, but I'm afraid to stop..."

Just in case...you know what I mean??

Of course, Dad's got advanced Alzheimer's, and in a home now, because Mom just can't take care of him anymore. She's moved to the same place, but apart, so she can still keep an eye on him without having to caregive 24/7 as she had been doing. The thing that really pisses me off is that my Dad was a very intelligent businessman (head of the European Purchasing Dept. for Mobil Oil in the 70s) and after retirement him & Mom played Scrabble, cards, kept active and ate healthy all the time. And they say that doing that is supposed to help stave off Alzheimer's.
Yeah, well, don't give up things you enjoy and change your lifestyle because of what modern medicine tells you, it may just be a crock of shit!!

So now he's 89 years old and doesn't remember much of anything; even last year when we visited and he was much better than he is now he had trouble remembering who Phyl & I were if we weren't right there with him.

Yeah, sometimes life sucks, and you can't even remember that much...

No comments: