Monday, February 11, 2008

MOVIES...AND MORE

Here's an interesting factoid for you: Forty years ago the following five films were up for Best Picture at the Academy Awards:
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner,
The Graduate,
In the Heat of the Night,
Bonnie and Clyde,
Doctor Doolittle.
And I saw 4 out of 5 of them, never saw Guess Who's...
They were all good, with the possible exception of Dr Doolittle, which at
least was interesting, and nothing at all like the remake, being as it followed
along the book much closer (except for the singing, of course).
Heat & Graduate were good also, "They call me Mr Tibbs' & "Plastics", what great movie lines.
But my big favorite from around then was Bonnie & Clyde, what a great 60s movie; rebellion and freedom from 'the man', that's what it was about to us growing up then; it was just incidentally a gangster flick. And what a death scene, must have been a zillion bullets.
And, while we're on the subject, I've seen the actual car - it used to be at the now defunct Museum Of American Tragedy in St Augustine,FL. Lots of holes, that much I remember. I may even have a picture of it, I'll post it sometime if I can find it.

No comments: