Thursday, February 07, 2008

A WINTER'S TALE

Talking to my Mom on the phone the other day; it had snowed out in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island (which doesn't happen a lot, it's the warmest spot in Canada) and hadn't warmed up enough for it to melt yet. So Mom says to me: "Remember the year we put the snow chains on the car?" Well, I do, now that she reminded me. (place squiggly flashback lines here)
My Dad used to work in NYC, and commute in from Wilton every day. No longer being able to drive due to his poor vision, my Mom used to drive him to the train station and bring him home. This one day in early winter, hadn't really snowed yet, we had a sudden snowstorm, not a real lot of snow, but enough to use snow chains on the tires. Remember snow chains? Well, in the days before snow tires, you had regular tires on the car, and when it was winter, you wrapped the tires with these chain thingies that would grip the snow. So, it snowed that day, and Mom realized there were no chains on the tires, and being that Wilton was quite hilly, you couldn't drive around without them. So, enlisting my help, and finding the how-to info in an encyclopedia, my Mom and I put the chains on the tires. Off she went to get Dad at the station.
Well, we must have done a good job, the chains didn't fall off until she was home again, when 2 of them fell off halfway up the driveway!

No comments: